Thursday, May 27, 2010

It begins!

I have finally began a project that I have been itching to do for a couple of months now. The redecorating of our chest of draws. Ever since I found this picture I have wanted to recreate this look to really warm & brighten up our bedroom.

I have my red paint and my husband got a friend to help him take the chest of draws downstairs, now I am in the process of sanding. I am not a huge fan of sanding, particularly when it takes sooooo long! But I know that preparation is so important to the finished result. Particularly with a colour like red. I will say that I didn't have the best experience with the place that I got my paint from, granted I didn't go in as prepared as I normally would be, I did need a bit of advice especially with whether I needed a grey tint undercoat. To get a good red colour and not pink generally it is a good idea to use a grey undercoat instead of a white one. But I spoke to two different people (in the same store, standing right next to each other) and they gave me two different answers, one said that a grey tint was a good idea to get the depth of colour needed with red, but the other person said that it wasn't necessary with the that particular colour red. Didn't get the undercoat, but my husband did suggest that I just tint the can of white undercoat that I already own.

Here is the before picture, as you can see the chest is in great condition (little dints and scratches on top) but just alittle dated, actually alot dated for my current tastes.

Can't wait to show you the finished chest of draws after I have finished with it!

I have also finished the book case that I have been working on, love the result! I will post some pictures soon. It the mist of unpacking stuff that I had to pack up from preparing for all of the redecorating.

No comments:

Post a Comment